Bloodhound Visit – Great Falls
Established in July 1927, the Great Falls Library started as a night school library for adults. Dr. Wil Lou Gray, the State Supervisor for Adult Schools, spearheaded the effort, which began with only 40 donated books in a room in the Bank Building. Under the direction of librarian Mrs. J. C. Stoll, the collection quickly grew with the help of the county, state, and local residents, including Republic Mills President, George M. Wright. The library joined the Chester County Library system as its first branch in 1946. Since then the library has moved three times – first, to the Community Building (1949), and then to the War Memorial Building (December 1950). Finally, a new 2000 square foot facility was built in 1975 at the current location of 39 Calhoun Street. A meeting room addition was completed in 1988. Presently, the Great Falls Library houses a diverse collection of materials and offers a wide range of programs and services for patrons of all ages.